Tuesday, June 01, 2004

In The Beginning, There Was A Geeky High School Student . . .

... who was bored in class one day. He found himself doodling when he should've been paying attention, and from his scratching sketching arose THE BAT!

A year later, and at a different school, this high school student found himself on the staff of the school newspaper, the Cry Wolf. Mike Pagano, the brave, young editor of the paper decided to publish a comic strip featuring THE BAT. The rest is history.

I wish.

These strips suck, but here they are anyway:


(It's so cute when teenagers comment on world politics!)

(WTF? I was writing this strip for a high school newspaper, right? I don't know . . . maybe this joke was for the teachers.)

(I think I saw some sort of special on PBS about some species of bat being endangered in Brazil. Who knows. I'm not too sure how high school students in Arkansas could be responsible for some species of bat in South America being threatened. Maybe it had something to do with recycling.)

(This is a joke lost on anyone who grew up in an SAT state. Arkansas was an ACT state. This strip is actually kind of funny and relevant to high schoolers.)

(Yay! Another relevant strip! The first panel is a rip-off of a line Val Kilmer has in Real Genius. I love that movie.)

There you go. The infamous high school strips. I think it's neat how the character has evolved since then.

I just wish my sense of humor had evolved as well.

1 comment:

Pamela Moore said...

Wow. Your artwork has really improved. You have a line of action in the current work, rather than the talking head in the earlier strips.

At least you didn't dumb things down for your audience.